Saturday, September 25, 2010

AEDES KNOWS SWEET

Dengue, dengue, dengue! Its rainy season and Dengue Fever is once again invading homes. I just wanna share some interesting infos related to this disease that I learned that are very interesting (and confusing, at least for info 1).

Info 1. Do you know that Aedes albopictus (common in the Philippines) and Aedes aegypti, the vector of the disease prefer biting those with Type O because this blood type is sweeter than the rest of the blood groups in the ABO system? I really don't know why it is sweeter because if I look at the molecular structure of an O it only has 2 galactose and 1 fucose while the rest has either equal or much more (B is 3 galactose and 1 fucose, A is also 2 galactose and 1 fucose while AB has both of A and B combined). I guess I'll never know.

Info 2. Malaria thrives best in clean waters like in resorts and in the provinces (sosyal!) unlike Dengue which is common in the city which has dirty waters. I think you would want to know this so you would be able to assess which you are prone to LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment